Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Outsourced : Master-Slave relationship

I have spent more than 10 years in industry after passing out from IIT in 2008, worked in 6 companies and a couple of them have been in outsourcing setup of banks.

I started my career in 2008 with a small US technology firm ran by an Indian and which had a lot of Indians. The firm ultimately got sold to another firm. When I got the offer the share price was $12, when I joined it was $6, when I was there it was $1. Obviously witnessing the fall wasn't great. But I was never a tech guy despite studying in one of the best engineering institutes. I quickly moved on to FuturesFirst, a proprietary trading firm, headquartered in London because of my new found passion for trading. Of all the companies I've worked till now I think discipline at the firm was exceptional and culture towards employees totally unbiased. But since my performance in intraday trading wasn't great I had to move on. 

(Un)Luckily I found a job with a US bank's Global markets division (outsourced) in Mumbai and had to work for with European trading desk based out of London. This was my first experience in "outsourcing" and the first realization of Indian workforce being the "cheap" labor capital of the world. Initially, I was excited to work for a global trading desk. I thought I was selected because of my performance in tests, interview and academic background. Truth be told I was the smarter out of the interviewed lot in India but still a low cost INR replacement to do clerical work compared to a GBP/USD counterpart. For the bank, the technology budget would be more expensive than hiring few brainy IITians in India. What followed - there were constant reminders on how flying business class to London/US, getting bloomberg, blackberries was such a luxury and upliftment for us. Truth be told it was indeed a luxury. But the treatment of being "lucky" few out of poor India was a blow to self-respect. It was coming to terms with how rich own the poor and enslave them mentally in the modern corporate world. All the talk around culture and equality in MNC banks seemed less and less meaningful. The worst part was it was implicit. We had two managers, one in London responsible for our work assignment and one in India looking after local operations. I remember 3months into the job asking my London manager whether desk's P&L would play a part in India team's year end bonus. He said yes of course. I stayed with the desk for 3.5 years, we were benchmarked to rest of India team and never to our London trading desk's P&L. The setup ultimately was a low cost KPO for a bank. I totally get the economics for foreign businesses to hire in India - but I must highlight the hypocrisy these firms showcase in their culture, behavior and communication. 

I moved on after 3.5 years due to overdose of clerical work. Most of my IIT batchmates also moved on to IIMs or different locations. I then worked for a couple of Indian trading firms for the next 3.5years. In 2016, I moved to Dubai. After a year or so, I had to come back and managed to only get an offer from a foreign bank for Mumbai location. My fears of outsourcing came back to haunt me. This one is even worse. No perks like travel, bloomberg etc. More bureaucracy with Indian employees resigned to their fate, trained to carry the attitude of servitude and in a perennial state of being grateful to foreign nationals. The culture is more like as we Asians are born slaves to western nations. The supervisors in US do Skype calls and mails and acts as task masters. Reminds me of the British policy of divide and rule, promote local managers (loyal to them) to keep the labor in check. Accented English is really appreciated. Challenging and questioning any foreign or onshore team member is a sin. Growth in the organization is dependent upon impressing people up in hierarchy, greeting them when they are in office is a must and getting their accolades is considered a badge of honor. If they are foreigners the code of conduct is to pay extra respect. 

I must say most of my corporate career has been painful and disgusting. I am a bit of nationalist at heart, mathematically sharp by mind, middle class by birth, relatively fearful of failure and super confused after 10 years on how to change the situation. I write this post to share my feelings and experience to leave readers with some thoughts. The current situation at workplaces is sad and we Indians should think about on how to improve it for ourselves. I consider myself a part of this problem too since I continue to depend on such setups for my income.    

5 comments:

OxyMist said...

I relate very well to your experience Donald. After studying Computer Science & Engineering from one of the better institutions in India, I too had hoped for a very bright and exciting future, with opportunities for new innovations. However, after being into two American companies, with offices in Mumbai/Gurgaon, I too feel very much like you. In my experience, it's the Indian middle-managers who suck more than native American nationals. I don't mind them (American folks) feeling bad about having to spend so much money out of their country, but even if they wanted to create an American work culture and atmosphere here, that wouldn't be allowed or supported by the locals. So, it's not so easy for them to move over here and create a little America, but what may end up happening is, one Indian guy, in the middle, having it all nice and easy, while he takes on the charge/responsibility, for doing whatever is necessary, to get the work done. The way I see it is, that there's a distinct gap between India and US. And when attempting to fill that gap, it's our lack of leadership or inability to generate local revenue, that makes it a customer-server or master-slave model rather than an equal partnership.

anurag said...

SSC has released ssc mts 2019 exam date now. you can check to follow the link.

Anonymous said...

I work for a multinational in London. For past 10 years I have worked with alot of people from different nationalities , one thing I found common among them was forgetting about work after their working hours finish except for Indians who would send emails out on a saturday morning at 3AM. I have never worked in India as I had my education from UK but I was born in India so I always worked my contracted hours and lived my life in the spare time. But most of Indians behave and carry themselves as they are in the servitude of their masters. They sometimes get lower or middle management roles.

And they are all so serious all the time. No laughs or jokes from most of them. I hope they realise that they will be fine if they stop working when they go home. It is becoming a stereotype thing here among the other people.

They are spoiling work culture here, I am not sure what it is like in India.


Ankita Tripathi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shatee Akter said...

Awesome admin! Nice article use in this blog.
Donald P. Mains

Laptop