Monday, June 4, 2012

IIT selection criteria changes

Lets me be straight about it. IITians are the cream of the nation. There is no doubt about it. And if you ask most of the IITians the reason for such quality out flux is that one test. The one test I surely know is toughest that I have gone through and most IITians share the same view. So when people talking about the board exams being one of the deciding factors they are asking you to choose something which can never screen talent and the quality that IIT deserves. There's a certain degree of respect that comes along with the tag IIT and make no mistake if you make those entry criterias subjective and based on exams which prosper on rote learning and depends mostly on memory retention and also can have doubtful scoring patterns be rest assured you are going to get quality dilution. There have been a lot of IITians in the past who can't boast of great scores in the board exams and take my word they have every right to be in IIT and more so than many others whom have better scores in these exams. Its a choice as a country that we make whom we give those elitist tags to. If we reward people for baseless reasons so be it. If we want to make a mockery of our image in the world because of dirty politics so be it. IIMs have already made their process quite weird with all those percentage allocations to boards and grades at college. But anyways IIM never have that global visibility as IIT to some extent has. I quite fail to understand how they have so much time to screw the processes more when in fact we as a nation have so many issues to fix. Politics at every level is the roadblock that we face. Its surprising that a man like Kapil Sibal with such impressive educational background is leading this stupid exercise. But the other way of looking at it is anyways crucial part of each individual's life and the challenge that we face day to day is politics, so lets teach the children from starting how to get used to it. Chalta hai!  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This isn't even the right post to comment under but 'chalta hai'.

I just wanted to let you know that I honestly found your blog very depressing. I just finished my 10th and my prep of 2 years for IIT begines in about 3 days. You make the IITs feel like someplace I wouldn't want to be. I don't know.

But yeah, thank you for voicing out your thoughts on the IITs. I'd never even have known even this otherwise.

Donald said...

Thanks for pointing that out. Appreciate your honesty. Maybe its worth considering for me the effect the blog can have on IIT aspirants. Let me stress IIT is THE best for Indian engineering graduates and is worth getting into if that helps. Thanks and best of luck for your prep.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean 'best'?

Don't different people have different definitions of what is best?

From your posts, I've come to realize that IITs aren't places that I'd like to do my engineering at. There's so much more to college than just the faculty or placements. I want college to be a worthwhile experience. I want to be in a close knit community. You make the IITs sound like they do not really have a great community. I mean, socially.

I'll still be preparing for them and will most probably write the exam but, maybe, just maybe, I won't decide to go there no matter how good(or bad) my rank is. I know that I can get in if I put in enough hard work (which I'll try my best to).

I was wondering, could you reflect a bit and write some posts on your thoughts about life at your IIT? It'd greatly help me (and others like me who're interested in knowing what life is really like over there.)

Thanks.

Donald said...

If you are referring to my post of "FRIENDS" to conclude that IITs aren't a great community socially then it would not exactly be right to do that. As it is based on an opinion of one IITian among so many. Secondly, in all phases of life after your school you do not get these perfect situations as you dream about and aspire for. So be very careful. And frankly I do not know how to compare holistically IITs with other engg institutes in India but 10/10 people will tell you they are better just because of the quality they are able to associate themselves with. Remember always, the best places to learn and grow are never the best places to be in. So yes, it depends what "best" do you aspire for.

An0n said...

" IITians are the cream of the nation."

Are you still living by the beliefs sold to you by coaching institutes & wannabe money makers?

What do you mean by "cream"? Out of all the streams available, take science & among the diverse science fields take engineering & among the many engineering students take the IITians & a fraction of those IITians who perform well in academics & may be considered intelligent by society's comparative standards. You are perhaps referring to this bunch as "cream". As per my definition, the people who may be called the "cream" of a country are those who live their dreams, follow their excitement & live a passionate life full of happiness & joy rather than banking on degree, reputation, popularity, skills, etc.. These all are secondary & may serve as walking ticks to reach where a person may wish to go but journey is the goal.

After reading your blog, I feel like you believe in "no pain no gain".

Several IITians commit suicide every year (which's not surprising to me) & I have heard many stories (other than yours) about IITians having a miserable life afterwards. How will it make you feel if I told you all the pain & negative feelings ever experienced by you & anyone else to achieve anything was not necessary?

Unknown said...

:)..chill

Laptop