Saturday, November 12, 2011

The sad part of having IIT life

People talk about the big guns and nobody cares about the common man and very rightly so. Common is not the one to be cared about. Common is easily available. Rule of nature, common man looks to the uncommon. But the same common man, when comes back to thinking about himself gets perturbed about being common. The things are no different when you are an IITian. Considering you have set different benchmarks and expectations early in our career continues to pressurize you throughout your life. No matter how good you are there would be one better than you. A fact however difficult an IITian may find to accept remains. That is what causes an emotional turmoil. The hunger to be at the top all the time is never satisfied for a common IITian leading to a sad feeling of under-achievement. He might still be doing well in his life but IIT life is something different. It comes with a tag to be in a league above the rest all the time. People and IITians themselves seem to forget that one exam and one institute is not a recipe for success in all the fields. But alas their subconscious mind fails to accept the fact. I have seen IITian burdened with a sense of inferiority complex. To keep themselves happy they need to see themselves better than their surroundings, appreciated to be what they are all the time and have a desire to receive accolades for every work they do. Its not possible.
What all this leads to is depression. It leaves them incomplete and hapless about their positions. Its a sad fact with most non-exceptional IITians I have seen. It becomes an inseparable reality in the IIT life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very true ..... I am a B Tech from IIT Kanpur...left my job because I felt that it will destroy my career and I will not be able to reach the zenith...gave my 100% and even more for CAT this year but I screwed it because of the pressure I had put on myself. Today I wish,I could have done my B Tech from a decent college and would have been working a low paying but satisfactory job. Right now I am feeling as nothing good can happen to me. (Sad but True)

Laptop